Designed to help you get the most out of your appointments with your breast surgeon, these questions should cover all the basic information you will need to know.
Breast Plastic Surgery
- What types of breast reconstruction are available?
- What type of reconstruction would you recommend for me?
- How many reconstructions have you done, and do you have any photos to show me?
- How many surgeries are needed to perform the reconstruction?
- What kind of anesthesia will I have and how long does the surgery take?
- How many drains will I have and how long will they be in?
- Will there be any sutures to remove after surgery?
- What is normal recovery in terms of pain and how long is recovery?
- What kind of complications can occur with this type of surgery?
- What can I do to minimise the scaring? How many years do my implants last?
- What costs will I incur with your services both in and out of hospital?
- What will my lifting restrictions be, and can I work?
- When should I start physiotherapy and exercise?
- What if I’m not satisfied with the results?
- If I have expanders, will I wake up with breasts – if so what size?
- How many times do you fill the expanders and how much is put in each time?
- How long will it take between the first mastectomy surgery (when expanders are put in) and the exchange surgery (when the implants are put in)?
- Will I have drains with the exchange surgery?
- How long will my recovery be?
- With Tram Flap and DEIP surgery, what is the recovery time and what will the scars look like?
To get the most out of your appointment, make sure to print this page out and take it with you to ensure you get answers to all your questions. It can also be helpful to record the answers so you can listen to then at a later date or with loved ones.